Friday, January 9, 2009

Memories: Wanted and Unwanted

My memories are the most precious things to me in my life. Without them, I wouldn't be the person I am today. My group of friends and I are starting a book of memories - a scrapbook if you will. If you have seen the movie "The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood", it will kind of be like the book in that. Three of us started work on it tonight, and haven't laughed so hard in a while. We looked through pictures and read through quotes that made us laugh so hard that we couldn't breathe and tears were streaming down our faces. My friend Laurence, while looking through one of my quote books, told me that she wished she could cross out all of the quotes by a certain person. This person was a big part of my freshman year in college, but no longer part of my life. I told Laurence that as much as I wanted to cross out everything she ever said, I won't do it. All I am going to do is write at the beginning of the book something like: "There are things in this book from people I no longer wish to think about in my life, but I will never get rid of any of it because it is a part of my life. I have to keep it there to remind me what I went through with them and how it has affected my life. How it has made me a better, stronger person than I used to be". I think that people have to remember that even though some memories hurt to think about, they were there for a reason. And whether or not you realize that they have made an impact on your life or not, they have. Everything you encounter in your life pushes you to the person you are meant to be. And you have to remember the people that treated you like shit just as much as you have to remember the people that helped to raise you up and love you. I have even said a mental thank you to some of the people that have brought pain into my life. Simply because they are the ones that have given me the strength to keep going with my life. Don't belive in me, love me, care; and see how far I go.

No comments: