Saturday, December 13, 2008

Advice

Breathe babe.
Cry, let it all out.
This is the advice that I get all the time. It is also the advice I give, it's the most affective advice to give... sometimes.
I was taking notes on a book that I was going to present to my Non-Fiction class. The book was Letters to a Young Poet, they were all letters to a man from Rainer Maria Rilke. In these letters he gives the man (Mr. Kappas) different forms of advice for all different topics. Going back and reading my notes, I went off about advice. I mean, I completely left the topic of the book. Rilke gave this man such in depth advice. His thoughts on love regarding this mans life took up almost four pages. It is wordy, well thought out. Sometimes, as I wrote in my notebook, this is the best advice. Because even though it will take you more than a second to hear it, and it is not two words long, it gets you thinking. Thinking is the best thing to do when you have no idea where to turn or what to do next. Wordy advice makes you wade through the sentences, pick them up and examine them. Maybe dust them off and find their true meanings. This will eventually bring you to an answer, even if it is not the same answer the words are spelling out before you. It still got you to think.
There are sometimes, that all I will say is
I love you, and I always will. No matter what, I am here for you.
And that is all I need sometimes. But I will go swimming in words every once in a while ;)

No comments: