Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A Dance Yet To Be Had

I once sat on the edge of a bed listening to a song playing from the computer across from me. My father was sitting on the stool next to me. He informed me that this was the song that he wanted to be our father-daughter dance at my wedding. Since I didn't even have a boyfriend, it shocked me that he was thinking about it at all. And the fact that he was a father, and usually that means you wouldn't want to think about your oldest daughter getting married. Tears formed in my eyes as I listened to Martina McBride sing...
In my daughter's eyes I am a hero
I am strong and wise and I know no fear
But the truth is plain to see
She was sent to rescue me
I see who I wanna be
In my daughter's eyes
I heard that song tonight, right after I had watched a father and daughter dance on stage. I had laid my head on one of my best friends at Lesley and told her that it depressed me to watch this. And for the first time, when I heard that song, I didn't cry. I saw the falsities and heard the words. I haven't met some of my heroes, and the ones I have met are my friends. One of them being the one who let me tell her that a happy dance depressed me. They are the ones reflected in my eyes. I found myself asking questions. If I was sent to rescue my father, than how did I fail so terribly? Who did he see in my eyes, if he saw what he wanted to be? How could this song relate to our "relationship"? Would I have a father-daughter dance at my wedding? Or would it be replaced by the best friend dance?

No comments: